SonyTwan

General Fitness/Health Thread

Nice stuff Cereal and Sony.

I've started taking the gym seriously over the last month and a half - just cardio stuff though, no heavy deaflifting or whatever. 

But I do the occasional dumbbells on the mats.

Since start of Spring term after January I've done: 200km bike, 30km row and 45km running. I'm trying to set goals on short distances (1km+2km run, 5km+10km bike and 2km row).

I seem to be best at bike:

5,000m = 7m35s (39.57kmh avg) at level 10

10,000m = 16m40s (36.08kmh avg) at level 10

Aiming to get these closer to 7m and 16m by the end of the year.

53 minutes ago, Cereal said:

@SonyTwan

Cheers for the help, will definately look into that series. Any idea what weight you'd suggest me starting off at looking at my other weights? 40? 50? 60?

up the weight to the point where you're having to put in effort and will break a sweat, but not to the point where you're gonna fail to hit all your reps on a set and/or have bad form

entirely up to you

2 hours ago, Cereal said:

Probably get roasted for posting in this thread but whatever.

Joined my gym in mid December of last year because I wasn't really happy with the shape of my body or my level of fitness. I started out by doing mostly cardio, but realized it wasn't helping me grow in the way I wanted to, so I slowly reduced the amount of cardio I was doing until I completely cut it out, I still play rugby in my free time which is hopefully enough cardio. I've looked at a couple of different programs, starting out with the one the gym recommended me, then doing a full body beginners one I found online, and then I started doing a 4 day upper lower split (https://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696), and adapted it to add more shoulders and removing deadlifts because I'm a bit of a pussy. 

dcc036db40fac8bc8be3cb3f34a4ccf8.png

(I know this might not make sense but it's not really for you lol)

As time has gone by I realized that I wasn't really into the bodybuilder's physique, and have been looking at body weight exercises because I prefer the physique, so I'm going to slowly start substituting weight exercises for body weight ones, starting by completely swapping curls for chin ups, and tricep dips for extensions.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. xxx

Don't judge me I'm weak and small.

I personally don't like a upper/lower body split. I do: day 1 Chest, day 2 Back, day 3 Legs, day 4 Arms, day 5 Shoulders and abs whenever i feel like it. And cereal, trust me if you want quick gain, don't cut out weights. Body weight exercises is fine but it's a difficult and long process. And no, weights won't make you buff like a ronnie coleman or something similar. Don't switch to body weight only. Try always including the big three compound movements in your days: benchpress, free bar squat and deadlift. Note: spend enough time perfecting your form before you add more weight, it will be beneficial for when you get to the bigger weights. You don't wanna fuck shit up. Trust me, you get the most fun out of one of these three later.

Of course, don't forget about nutrition. Makes up half of the work.

edit: i also like to do fun stuff like box jumps. PB: 1.6m

Edited by Oldmike

13 minutes ago, Oldmike said:

I personally don't like a upper/lower body split. I do: day 1 Chest, day 2 Back, day 3 Legs, day 4 Arms, day 5 Shoulders and abs whenever i feel like it. And cereal, trust me if you want quick gain, don't cut out weights. Body weight exercises is fine but it's a difficult and long process. And no, weights won't make you buff like a ronnie coleman or something similar. Don't switch to body weight only. Try always including the big three compound movements in your days: benchpress, free bar squat and deadlift. Note: spend enough time perfecting your form before you add more weight, it will be beneficial for when you get to the bigger weights. You don't wanna fuck shit up. Trust me, you get the most fun out of one of these three later.

Of course, don't forget about nutrition. Makes up half of the work.

edit: i also like to do fun stuff like box jumps. PB: 1.6m

depends what you wanna focus on, that split gives you less frequency for your legs, and less of a chance to focus on your compounds (assuming your deadlifting, benching and squatting once a week on that split), truth is though you can get stronger and bigger on any routine, provided you progressively increase the weight, whatever is most fun imo

100% about nutrition, if my calorie intake isn't in check i struggle to progress, especially on bench, can be so hit and miss some days.
right now doing lots of high reps with a focus on the eccentric tricep extensions and hammer curls to rehab this tendon

Edited by SonyTwan

About once a week I find the motivation to do an hour work out where I use free weights to fuck up my whole body. I eat a fuck tonne of carbs and protein but also a lot of sugar and fat. I dunno I guess I'm lucky but somehow I've maintained a six pack throughout the last year with almost no exercise.

My aim is to get decently big arms (my legs are already pretty G) for my three weeks in France this summer. My friend is a gym head and I'm going to look like a twig next to him on the beaches if I don't step it up.

9 minutes ago, IrishChamp said:

About once a week I find the motivation to do an hour work out where I use free weights to fuck up my whole body. I eat a fuck tonne of carbs and protein but also a lot of sugar and fat. I dunno I guess I'm lucky but somehow I've maintained a six pack throughout the last year with almost no exercise.

My aim is to get decently big arms (my legs are already pretty G) for my three weeks in France this summer. My friend is a gym head and I'm going to look like a twig next to him on the beaches if I don't step it up.

you won't achieve much doing an hour work out once a week for your entire body lol
you'll feel sore because your body isn't used to the stimulus but it's not necessarily a sign of a good work out
you should aim to have your entire body to be bigger not just your arms or you'll look a little goofy
also everyone overestimates how big their legs, squatting 140kg is a small strength milestone that means you're stronger than the average person and even i haven't achieved that

not trying to piss on your strawberries just telling it how it is

1 minute ago, SonyTwan said:

you won't achieve much doing an hour work out once a week for your entire body lol
you'll feel sore because your body isn't used to the stimulus but it's not necessarily a sign of a good work out
you should aim to have your entire body to be bigger not just your arms or you'll look a little goofy
also everyone overestimates how big their legs, squatting 140kg is a small strength milestone that means you're stronger than the average person and even i haven't achieved that

not trying to piss on your strawberries just telling it how it is

Yeah I know it's really not optimal but I'm just v lazy when it comes to working out.

I naturally have pretty large legs and a few years have cycling have really exaggerated that so tbh all I really care about on my lower body is calf work. 

I wasn't complaining of the soreness I actually love the feeling after working out, I just really need to do it more.

On 10.07.2015 г. at 15:05, Liutvi said:

Currently running every morning 2 kilometers with nylon,boxing 4 times a week and swimming sometimes

Benchpress record 130: 3 times

Deadlift: 150 ( I dont do it allot becouse i have back issues)

Squat: 120 but i dont do allot of legs in the gym becouse i run alot and do skipping at the gym

KO record : 1st round 20 seconds uppercut to the liver and right hook to the chin

Swimming record 50m freestlye 28,5 not that good but i dont have the right body for a swimmer

I drink every day 3 liters of water minimize my food no bread or sweet stuff

Ive done in the past some hormones clenbuterol and some other stupid shit, trust me its not worth it buy yourself some nice milk protein, creatine even amino acids its all good :smile1:

Good luck to all you guys trying to become big :smile1:

who was that big guy?

On 16-3-2017 at 22:30, SonyTwan said:

depends what you wanna focus on, that split gives you less frequency for your legs, and less of a chance to focus on your compounds (assuming your deadlifting, benching and squatting once a week on that split), truth is though you can get stronger and bigger on any routine, provided you progressively increase the weight, whatever is most fun imo

100% about nutrition, if my calorie intake isn't in check i struggle to progress, especially on bench, can be so hit and miss some days.
right now doing lots of high reps with a focus on the eccentric tricep extensions and hammer curls to rehab this tendon

True but i always do squat minimum twice a week. I rotate my compound lifts, so 1 month i'll be doing my deadlift on back day and 2 other days and other month squat or bench with the same principle.

Is doing 30 pushups a sitting 3 times a day good?

Can't be bothered to get a gym membership here cause its expensive as hell, cheapest is 70$ a month and the place is trashy.

With my exams coming up, I usually wake up at 5 am, and take a run, about 10-15 kilos every 2-3 days, my diet is pretty healthy and not carb heavy except for the bread I occasionally eat with the family, Been thinking of upping my game and getting an indoor climb gym membership again, but not sure if I should.

My average day consists of 50-80 pushups average,

70-100 situps/crunches

I can hold plank for 2:10 minutes, is that good?

stretching every once in a while, especially after I wake up and before I sleep.

I think I got everything nailed down to home exercise 

3 hours ago, ҉NuclearGamer said:

Is doing 30 pushups a sitting 3 times a day good?

Can't be bothered to get a gym membership here cause its expensive as hell, cheapest is 70$ a month and the place is trashy.

With my exams coming up, I usually wake up at 5 am, and take a run, about 10-15 kilos every 2-3 days, my diet is pretty healthy and not carb heavy except for the bread I occasionally eat with the family, Been thinking of upping my game and getting an indoor climb gym membership again, but not sure if I should.

My average day consists of 50-80 pushups average,

70-100 situps/crunches

I can hold plank for 2:10 minutes, is that good?

stretching every once in a while, especially after I wake up and before I sleep.

I think I got everything nailed down to home exercise 

That's a lot of push ups everyday, it's good to be doing them for sure. The run combined is the best bit - ideally you want to be doing anaerobic exercise several times a week to really keep your heart and body in shape, simply doing the odd sit ups and push ups wouldn't be the most optimal.

Plank time is also very good, sounds like you've got it all sorted at home, keep it up.

Hopefully going to start going to gym by the end of the month as i have recently got a job as a life guard, which then gives free gym membership, figured i should make the most of it. Does anyone have an tips/ things i can do there. Have no clue at all where to start and what to start doing to get where i want. I just need guidelines or workouts that i can do, as i have never really properly been to the gym.

I have seen like work outs online and stuff but not really sure how to always apply them to a gym workout for me. If someone could tell me the starting work outs and then what ones to progressively do etc, that would be great.

Thanks

23 minutes ago, Toby. said:

Hopefully going to start going to gym by the end of the month as i have recently got a job as a life guard, which then gives free gym membership, figured i should make the most of it. Does anyone have an tips/ things i can do there. Have no clue at all where to start and what to start doing to get where i want. I just need guidelines or workouts that i can do, as i have never really properly been to the gym.

I have seen like work outs online and stuff but not really sure how to always apply them to a gym workout for me. If someone could tell me the starting work outs and then what ones to progressively do etc, that would be great.

Thanks

Depends on your goals, what do you want to achieve?